Before I got a sponsor or at least started actively working with her I knew enough about the program of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)- of which I am a member and for me I have no issue breaking anonymity but I will ALWAYS respect the anonymity of others in the program -to get started working my steps right out of the gate. So I made a gratitude list (as I have done many times when I feel my life is unmanageable/I need to settle my brain and thinking down). I think sharing my step work can/may be able to show another person how simple the “design for living” in AA is and hopefully somewhere/someday (or not) someone suffering can see there is a way out.
So without further ado my GRATITUDE LIST 03/07/2023 (9 days into my sobriety this time around):
*Usually folks say to do a list of 5 which is what I’ve usually done/do but if you always do what you’ve always done you’ll always get what you’ve always gotten I’ve heard so I did 10 in order of importance in my life*
- My Higher Power, I call him Ted/God and having a REAL relationship with him today.
- Me, ALIVE, SANE, SOBER, WILLING
- My kiddos health and happiness and knowing and trusting my HP is protecting my girls while they’re fathers continue to “hide them” from me going on 2 years yesterday. My son being born amazingly perfect and super smart and him having the dad that he does who is number 4.
- M’s love and understanding and support and unconditionally loving me anyway even when I thought he didn’t care/was indifferent. Him continuing to have faith and support my crazy ass while I was a dry drunk for 5 years (in meetings not working a program) and still getting high on dry goods (drugs) while he stayed sober since before I met him.
- My dad and my lil brother for almost always loving me anyway and supporting me through it all.
- AA and the fellowship, my chosen family, and the new friends I’m meeting and the old friends who never gave up on me.
- Forgiving myself and loving myself unconditionally always. And knowing my human fallibility and being okay with my mistakes.
- Knowing I’m worthwhile and respecting myself fully and creating healthy boundaries in my life today.
- Learning to get boundaries.
- Life and living life on life’s (God’s) terms today. Turning my will over to the God of my understanding each morning and letting He who has all power have all power direct my life today, knowing He’s got me.